Saturday, September 15, 2007

Pray more?

Last week was not a good week. Tuesday and Wednesday in particular were real pissers. It's hard to know sometimes why certain days are harder than others. I've had lots of days like last week, and I am normally able to be patient, or see the joy in the situation, or feel hopeful about the next day. But this time, I was out of hope. I had that bad feeling you get deep in your stomach, that tells you everything sucks. Which is not true. But it feels that way. Tuesday I got to the point when I was so frustrated and sad at my kids that I ran into my bedroom, closed the door and literally fell on my knees to pray. It was a bit dramatic. And I'm not a dramatic person. It's not unusual for me to pray for help, but this was a desperate prayer. One minute later Charis barged in and said "what are you doing?" I told her I was praying and she wanted to know "what for?" So I said I was sad and frustrated at the way everyone was acting, and I was asking God to give me patience and wisdom. By this time Paxton and Jonas had come in too. Charis got really quite and Paxton gave me lots of hugs. A minute later Charis said, "I prayed too...that we would be more nice!" Amazingly, the rest of that day was much better. The kids were more aware of the way I was being affected by them. And I felt thankful.



I would have blogged about this the following day - God answering my prayer - but the next day was much worse than the one before. I even called Caleb and told him I was ready to trade in Jonas. He was interested, depending on what we were trading him in for. JoJo (as Charis calls him) is amazing and fun and brilliant, as well as strong willed, defiant, and hot-tempered. Sometime that afternoon I asked Charis what we could do to make our day better. (We all knew it was a bad day.)She said, "pray more?" We did. I guess God answered "no" because the day did not really improve.

Yet somehow in the midst of all that we did these amazing things that would make it apear we had a fabulous week. I could have just posted those, but I would feel like a fraud. So you get both : )





The above pictures are of this cool bubble art we did during our bad week. They turned out really cute.



And Charis can now make it to level 2 at the R.E.I climbing wall! She's awesome.

2 comments:

Flo said...

Your kids are amazing. Some days just suck. That's okay.

Peder Anderson said...

I'm glad you have days that are real pissers. Well, not glad that they are pissers, but that you call them that. It seems like just calling them pissers would make them less pissy. And for what it's worth (which isn't much when you're having a pisser of a day), it made me smile. It also made me smile that Charis is kicking some butt on the REI climbing wall. If we ever get to hang out someday maybe I'll take her rock climbing on real rock in the great outdoors. Tell your husband thanks for the nice long e-mail, and that I'll give him a call or return the e-mail in the next couple days . . .