Thursday, February 19, 2009

valentines day

Caleb and I have only gone out on a date for Valentine's Day once in the 12 years we have been going on dates. It was 2 years a go and we did it up Hagen style by eating at The Turkish Bird House in Leucadia.  Well, this year we stayed with our homebound tradition and made a "fancy" dinner at home.

Scott and Chris joined us for dinner and dessert. Charis enjoyed setting the table and giving everyone name tags. Pax helped me make dinner (not really), and Jonas spent most of dinner in Scott's lap.
 
Lasagna was on the menu. I've actually never made any kind of lasagna before and I decided to make two different kinds that night. One from my Southern Living cookbook (thank you grandma) and one from a raw cookbook. I can't say how the cooked one tasted since I didn't partake (although I heard it was pretty good) but the raw one was awesome. I will definitely make it again. In the picture below you can see the pine nut " ricotta cheese", the pesto and sun-dried tomato filling. The noodles which you can't see in the picture were made of thinly sliced summer squash tossed in olive oil. 
 

We did get a date Monday night after Valentine's Day. Mom and Dad spent the night and we went to dinner, coffee and a concert. It was pretty much my favorite concert. Gary Jule's opened and Donavon Frankenreiter was the head liner. I wish I could convey the awesomeness of this concert. I'll just let your imagination take you to a place (circa 1971) where people still use accordions, harmonicas, trumpets, and (YES) mouth organs on stage. omg. I loved it.

2 comments:

G-Unit said...

Ummm..omg you guys are awesome!! You are so stinkin Cute!

Beachbum said...

Dates are too awesome. I really glad you went to the concert!

I will have to try that version of the raw lasagna. Looks yummy...

Love the yellow headband!