Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Who eats raw in Alabama?


Nobody, is the answer. So after a short break from eating raw, I'm back to it. The other night I made a delicious Pineapple- Cucumber Gazpacho. It's more of a summer food, but I enjoyed eating it with my slippers on in front of the fire. My friend Ginger gave me a great raw recipe book, Raw Food Real World, and this one's from that...

4 cups chopped peeled cucmber
4 cups chopped pineapple
1 cup fresh pineapple juice (I didn't do this)
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
1 green onion, white and 1 inch of green, chopped
1 Tablespoon lime juice (I used lemon)
1 handful cilantro leaves, plus a few for garnish
3 Tablespoons avocado, macadamia or olive oil (I used olive)
1 handful finely shopped raw macadamia nuts (I used almonds)


In a blender, add 3 cups each of the cucumber and pineapple, the pineapple juice, jalapeno, green onion, lime juice, and salt. Blend until smooth. Add the remaining 1 cup pineapple and 1 cup cucumber, the handful of cilantro, and 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil. Pulse the blender quickly a few times - it should remain chunky. Taste for seasoning. Can chill or serve immediately.
Before serving, add the nuts to the gazpacho and stir to distribute evenly. Drizzle with remaining oil. Garnish with cilantro.


No comments: