Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Life is a highway

and I don't want to ride it anymore. At least not with three small kids in a motor home. But seriously, it could have been much worse.

We played a lot of "Whosit?" My parents still have the 1975 edition. It is awesome. It was Paxton's favorite game.



We grew to love and hate gas stations. There was such excitement over getting to stop and buy a (nasty) truck stop treat. The sweet video games and ridiculously expensive toys were a bonus too. And yet the smells and the possible big rig maulings were something we are glad to be done with.





We fell into a nice routine in the motor home, and I only had occasional moments of "this sucks!" A lot of the places we stopped at were really beautiful, which always excited me. The beauty was mildly interesting to my kids. But one RV park in Texas was so desperately ugly. There was nothing pretty about the place. But it was my kids favorite stop. Why? Because they got to play with 2 fun girls for a few hours. They are still talking about those girls. It was a good reminder for me...people are the most beautiful thing to children, and should be to me as well.




We talked a lot about America and each state we were in (7 in all). Unschooling was a breeze. Charis can proudly spell m-i-s-s-i-s-s-i-p-p-i all by herself. And Paxton almost has America and California distinguished from each other.



Im so glad we did it, although next time it will definitely have to be with Caleb.

3 comments:

Flo said...

What a fun experience! You are much braver than I.

Glad you're home safely.

Kirsten said...

"...people are the most beautiful thing to children, and should be to me as well..."

That's so true! I need to remember that more often;)

amber. said...

t took me a long time to distinguish california and america, too. Actually, it took moving to Arkansas.

Amber.