Friday, August 14, 2009

Thank God


This has been a crazy week in the Hagen house. Saturday night Jonas had to be rushed to the E.R. and was later admitted to the hospital. He'd had a bit of a cold. I'd kept him home from a beach party that day, but felt he was up for our family shin dig that night. He was pretty lethargic at the party and was definitely struggling to breath. But he'd had something similar about a month prior, and had pulled through just fine (or so we thought). So, we just held him a lot and gave him some medicine my sister in law suggested.
Once we got home (10:30 pm) we realized the situation was getting worse. He was working so hard to breath and was making these sad gasping noises. At that point we decided that Caleb should take him to the E.R. I wasn't worried. I assumed they'd give him a breathing treatment and send him home.
A few hours later I talked to Caleb. Apparently the breathing treatment had helped but Jonas was not improving like they wanted him to, so he was being admitted to the hospital.
So, after 12 hours on the breathing treatment he finally started to show signs of improvement. Once they added the steroids he seemed to really perk up. I knew he was feeling a bit better when he punched me and then laughed. And things had really improved when he was calling me a poopy-stinker again.

I feel like God was really gracious to us. My amazing mom was able to come up and watch the other 2 kids. Caleb was able to take a day off work. And I got to have a private room with my baby, despite the fact that the room had 3 other beds in it.
While the emergency part of this was all happening I was very calm. I truly didn't feel worried or scared. I asked a lot of questions of the nurses. I talked them out of treating Jonas for swine flu. And I learned a lot about asthma.
The past couple of days have been the hardest. Learning that he might have life long asthma issues. Being told that he needs to be on steroids all winter. Seeing the medications mess him up (but keep him breathing). And I've just been tired.
But its in such perspective. Because tonight, at least, all my family is alive. And they're all breathing. And I have the ability to hold them and play with them. And I feel more thankful to God for that than I ever have.

7 comments:

TDM Wendy said...

Glad he is back to the potty talk and name calling. We didn't hear about this until after it all went down since we were up in the mountains at HUME. So glad he is okay.

G-Unit said...

Oh Kate, I am SO SO sorry. I HATE breathing problems. I still tremble thinking about Pearson in the er being shot with steriods because he couldn't breath. I'm glad Jonas is okay, you're amazing.

Jeff Sabo said...

I got to spend a few hours with that wonderful boy last night and he was (as usual) happy, carefree, and lovey. So glad things are better!

mandaroo63 said...

So sorry you're going through that!How scary asthma can be. Glad he's doing better. I had a bout with it for several months earlier this year and the only thing that finally resolved it was the steroids. Livie gets it bad too, especially in winter time. Stay away from people with colds, if you can....always seems to catch us and that's when it gets worse. Give him hugs for us!

Flo said...

You're so strong and amazing. I love you and I'm so glad your family is alive.

Cassie Bauckman said...

hi kate, i go on your blog every once in a while. today i read about jonas, i'm so glad he is feeling better. JT has asthma and when he's having an attack it is very scary. i hope you will be able to control it. let us know if we can do anything. love, cassie

Unknown said...

Hey. Glad the immediate turned out well. Sorry there's possible long term stuff, but good job for working through it. :)
I miss you guys!